Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Adding Strain Relief to Your Logitech UE900 Cables

I purchased a UE900 Vi cable for my Shure 215s awhile ago. I really like how light the cable is compared to the stock Shure cable. The UE cable also significantly cuts down on cable microphonics. The only thing the UE cable lacked was proper strain relief at the TRS plug.




As you can see from the picture, the UE cable terminates into the TRS plug without proper strain relief. This design flaw allows the cable to bend sharply, especially when inside a pocket. This sharp bending will greatly reduce the lifespan of the cable. Fixing this design flaw is easy and works for any cable.

What you'll need:
  • spring
  • wire snips
  • shrink wrap
I pulled a spring out of a retractable ball point pen.



I then bent one end of the spring open so I could wrap it around the cable.


I made sure that the spring was wrapped around the plastic "collar" of the TRS plug.


I then snipped the excess spring from around the plug.


I threaded shrink wrap onto the cable starting from the top of the cable.


Placed the shrink wrap onto the TRS plug making sure there the spring was still attached to the collar of the the plug.


I applied heat to the shrink wrap and fixed a bit of the spring that was uneven at the top.


Now I don't have to worry about my cable being damaged when my player is sitting inside my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment